A migration is a series of one or more "migration tasks" that are performed on an Otto Server. The tasks almost always involve one or more "remote" Otto Servers. The server that is "performing" the migration is referred to as the "Local" server. The "remote" servers are providing access to the files on the FileMaker server.
The intent of this API is to handle all of the work required for fetching files from remote servers, migrating the data if necessary and then reopening the new files.
The Migration tasks are described in JSON document. The JSON is then "posted" to the Otto Server that is going to be doing the migration. The Otto server responds with a Migration ID, that you can use to track the progress of the migration.
Here are the steps that are performed.
- Migrating files are closed and backup up on the "local" Otto server.
- File copies are fetched from remote Otto servers.
- either clones or copies are fetched depending on what was asked for
- If the info for doing a data migration is included in the migration.json, a migration is performed between the matching files.
- Files are re-opened on the server.